Rudy Giuliani is out of the running for the coveted secretary of State nomination for the incoming administration, according to multiple reports. CNN reported that President-elect Donald Trump told the former New York City mayor that he had been removed from consideration for the job…
Trump looking closely at ExxonMobile CEO Tillerson for Secretary of State. Giuliani told he was out of the running https://t.co/mrq4iBfR5y
— The Situation Room (@CNNSitRoom) December 9, 2016
… while ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson is now leading the pack of candidates. NBC also reported that Giuliani is no longer in the running.
The Hill reports,
It’s unclear what prompted Trump to drop Giuliani, who was a devoted surrogate during the presidential campaign but has since been dogged by questions over his consulting work for foreign governments.
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), whose position on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee gives him influence over the State confirmation process, opposed Giuliani’s potential nomination last month.
Trump is also said to be considering former CIA Director Gen. David Petraeus, retired Adm. James Stavridis, 2012 GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney and former Ford CEO Alan Mulally.