Matt Miller Daily Caller News Foundation, interviewed people in Meridian Park in Washington DC to get their reaction to one question:
What do you think of these racist Donald Trump quotes?
He wanted to find out if ‘what they think’ of the quote changed when they learn the quote was actually made by Democratic Presidential Candidate Joe Biden.
Among the quotes presented as being said by Trump:
- “Obama is the first mainstream African American who is articulate, bright and clean.”
- “Poor kids are just as bright as white kids.”
- “Unless we do something about this, my children are going to grow up in a jungle, the jungle being a racial jungle with tensions built up so high they’re going to explode at some point.”
- “Unlike the African American community, with notable exceptions, the Latino community is incredibly diverse and with incredibly different attitudes about different things.”
The responses to what were assumed to be Trump comments:
It’s so blatantly racist!
- Huh. Well that’s not true at all.
- That’s a horrible assumption and he’s an idiot.
When they were asked, “Should a person with these kinds of attitudes be our leader?”
Absolutely not! A jillion percent not.
And when told Joe Biden actually made the comments, people made excuses for Biden without saying they actually accepted him, reflected in this response:
- “Joe Biden is problematic as hell. We all know that he has not had a great past and I don’t believe has a great present, but he’s the option that we need to get out of the hole that we’re in.”
- “You got me!”
There was not vehement defense of Biden, which supported the Pugh Poll – see results here – which documents that voters are not wildly in love with Biden, they just don’t like Trump.