Johnny Depp says Hollywood is ‘boycotting’ him over Amber Heard drama

Page Six

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn

Johnny Depp claims his latest film, “Minamata,” hasn’t opened in U.S. theaters yet because he is being “blacklisted” by Hollywood over his ongoing legal issues with his ex-wife Amber Heard.

“We looked these people in the eyeballs and promised we would not be exploitative. That the film would be respectful,” Depp told the British newspaper The Times in an interview published on Saturday. “I believe that we’ve kept our end of the bargain, but those who came in later should also maintain theirs.”

MGM, an American media company, acquired the film for distribution in October, and previously set a Feb. 5 release date.

However, that date was later postponed, and an MGM rep told The Post it was “due to the pandemic and no new date has been set yet.”

“Minamata” follows a war photographer named Eugene Smith (played by Depp) as he documents the effects of mercury poisoning on the citizens of Minamata, Japan.

“Some films touch people,” Depp, 58, told The Times over the weekend. “And this affects those in Minamata and people who experience similar things. And for anything … For Hollywood’s boycott of, erm, me? One man, one actor in an unpleasant and messy situation, over the last number of years?”