Former Hillary Clinton senior adviser Philippe Reines says that he regrets sending a controversial tweet about Donald Trump Jr. and his estranged wife Vanessa Trump, but won’t be deleting it.
With time to think:
• I regret the Tweet. But I wrote it, I own it. So leaving it.
• Friendlies: I’m sorry to disappoint. It’s a learning moment.
• Vanessa/Valentin: Wrong to include you
• MAGATs: Take your vitriolic hypocrisy & shove it
• Jr: You ain’t seen nothing yet https://t.co/sbO4bzAPfy
— Philippe Reines (@PhilippeReines) May 10, 2018
The apologetic follow-up tweet early Thursday morning, which also said Trump Jr. “aint seen nothing yet,” came after Reines shared an article on Twitter on Wednesday. That article from Page Six claimed Vanessa Trump previously dated someone involved with a Latin gang.
The message referenced a Page Six article from the New York Post that detailed how Vanessa Trump, while in high school, dated a man who was a part of a violent street gang. The article contained an interview with the man, and is one of a series of stories that the Post has run outside journalistic norms about Vanessa Trump’s high school life. Generally speaking, responsible news organizations do not publish such stories about a person’s high school love life when they were minors. But the Post has published this piece and several others, including one that contained decades-old letters that Vanessa Trump apparently wrote to the gang member back in high school when they were dating.
The tasteless articles from the Post have earned a strong rebuke from those close to the Trump White House. A GOP strategist close to the White House questioned why Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation would allow Page Six of the New York Post to publish such articles–opening up the company that owns Fox News, the Wall Street Journal, the Post, and many more outlets to much more substantial criticism.
“With all the problems that News Corp has had with their treatment of women, it’s shocking that they would allow Page Six to publish a story that is nothing short of a racist, sexist attack on a private citizen. Clearly Roger Ailes wasn’t the problem,” a GOP strategist close to the Trump White House told Breitbart News late Wednesday for the first piece on this matter, before Reines’ follow-up tweet early Thursday.
Former White House official Andy Surabian, who served as a special assistant to President Trump in the White House and was the director of the 2016 Trump campaign’s war room, told Breitbart News that Reines’ comments on Twitter were “disgusting.”
“Philippe Reines’ disgusting tweet wasn’t just vile as even Chelsea Clinton noted, it was nothing more than thinly veiled racist garbage and the media should call it out as such. Reines should be ashamed of himself for stooping to such a low level,” Surabian said in a statement to Breitbart News. “Hillary Clinton, Liz Warren, Nancy Pelosi, and anyone else who purports to stand for women has an obligation to call out Reines’ morally repulsive comments. This should be the last nail in Philippe Reines’ political coffin.”
For her part, Chelsea Clinton–the daughter of Bill Clinton and Hillary Rodham Clinton–has rebuked Reines, calling his comments “vile.”
It’s vile. https://t.co/K2xgl6CC1F
— Chelsea Clinton (@ChelseaClinton) May 9, 2018
More at Breitbart