From Daily Mail
US Olympic swimmers Jack Conger and Gunnar Bentz have been detained by Brazilian authorities
The two men were attempting to fly back to the United States from Rio
Were dramatically removed from their flight at the last minute
The U.S. Olympic Committee says they were removed while local authorities investigate a reported robbery that involved them, Ryan Lochte and Jimmy Feigen
Feigen will also give a statement to police in Brazil while Lochte flew home to the US on Tuesday
Judge’s order came after seeing video obtained by DailyMail.com of the laughing men returning to the Olympic Village after the robbery
Two of the US Olympics swimmers who were with Ryan Lochte when he was apparently ‘robbed’ in Rio have been hauled off a plane and prevented from leaving Brazil by the country’s authorities.
The dramatic turn of events came amid mounting questions over whether the gold medal-winning swimmer really was held at gunpoint as he claims – and as Lochte changed for a second time his version of the events of Sunday night.
Jack Conger, 21, and Gunnar Bentz, 20, were sat in their seats aboard United Airlines flight 128 to Houston at Rio’s Galeao International Airport when police came for them – as the situation threatens to escalate into a full blown international incident.
Describing the experience as ‘frightening’, the two cannot leave Brazil until they provide official sworn testimony about their alleged mugging at gunpoint along with Lochte and fourth teammate, Jimmy Feigen.
Meanwhile, Lochte, 32, has been spotted in in Charlotte, North Carolina with his Playmate girlfriend Kayla Reid.
The action comes amid increasing tension between Brazilian authorities and the American swimmers – as questions are raised about the truthfulness of their story, pitting Rio authorities and Olympic games against them.
Attorney Sergio Viegas says Conger and Bentz have left the Rio de Janeiro airport for an unspecified location in Brazil and had yet to testify.
Earlier on Wednesday, Lochte, 32, and Feigen, 26, were barred from leaving Brazil – but Lochte had already left – as police say their accounts of the aftermath of the robbery do not match security footage exclusively obtained by DailyMail.com.
Upon leaving police custody early on Thursday morning, Conger and Bentz refused to answer questions.
According to the United States Olympic Committee, 26-year-old Feigen ‘intends to make further statements regarding the incident on Thursday as well.’
Viegas said, ‘There was a confusion, they are very scared by this. They didn’t understand what was happening or why they couldn’t embark.’
He added: ‘In the dispatch from the judge it said they were witnesses, but the police are saying something else.
‘Until we understand what is happening, what fact has happened, and in which form they are being heard, they will not be giving any statement.
‘After this obviously they will collaborate with the justice system and the police.’
When asked if the athletes had really been robbed he said: ‘About the facts, we are not going to manifest now.’
Conger and Bentz had spent more than three hours being interrogated by the Federal Police before they were allowed to leave at 1:44am local time.
Journalists asked them repeatedly if they had lied or whether they stood by the story but the pair remained silent.
Dave Fogelson, a spokesman for the US Consulate, ushered them towards an awaiting black mini-van but the pair were met by a media scrum and appeared bemused by the scene.
‘We are just here to provide consular assistance,’ Fogelson said. ‘Due to privacy considerations we cannot give any more information but refer to Brazilian authorities in this matter for any more information.’
Read Full Story At Daily Mail