A man dressed in construction apparel and armed with a sledgehammer destroyed Donald Trump’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The vandal attacked at 5:45am Wed, hacking up Trump’s name and a medal.
The star, which was placed in 2007 in recognition of Trump’s work on ‘The Apprentice,’ was destroyed with a sledgehammer and pick-ax at around 5:45 on Wednesday morning.
A man calling himself Jamie Otis claimed responsibility for the attack, telling Deadline Hollywood that the star had to go – but destroying it was not his original plan.
The attack on the embedded, five-pointed terrazzo and brass star came at around 5:45 AM on Hollywood Boulevard. Located right near the Dolby Theatre, Trump’s star was dedicated in 2007 in recognition of his work fronting and firing on the NBC series. ApprenticeEP Mark Burnett, Larry King and then Tonight Show host Jay Leno all spoke at the ceremony for Trump almost a decade ago.
Speaking to Deadline, the man said his name was Jamie Otis. He said he originally intended to remove Trump’s star completely to auction it off next month in New York to raise funds for the women who have recently come forward to accuse Trump of sexually assaulting them over the decades. In the past few months, 11 women have claimed the GOP POTUS candidate groped or otherwise attempt to get intimate with them. At a rally earlier this week, Trump told supporters the accusers were not telling the truth and that he would sue them after the November 8 election.
The removal effort was not a success today, with the star smashed into pieces but not leaving the ground.
Read the full story at Deadline